How to ace blogging
A blog is one of the simplest and most cost effective ways to connect with your audiences. Not only does it help to effectively engage your target group with relevant content, it is also a common way to attract new customers to your websites.
SEO gurus now believe that relevant and helpful content on a website is the key factor in deciding the pagerank of a webpage/website by Google, which has made blogging all the more important for businesses that thrive on their visibility over the internet.
Here are a few suggestions on how businesses should blog effectually to increase brand awareness and website traffic.
- Know your audience and create content which is relevant to them
The first and foremost thing to be kept in mind while writing a blog post is that it is for the reader. Blogs should hence offer some value addition to the audience that you are targeting for your business – this value could be information or a solution to a problem.
Knowing the audience, their problems that bring them to your website and what information or expertise you can offer as a solution to that problem are all vital elements of creating content which would connect with the reader.
2. Plan and structure your content
A blog can go horribly wrong without planning and structure even if you get the first step right. Haphazard and unstructured content, no matter how relevant to the reader would most probably go unnoticed. Content which is poorly organized and hard to comprehend also leads to poor seo rankings.
Prior planning, such as keyword research and brainstorming on blog ideas always helps in improving the structure of a blog. Bloggers should also avoid the use of large paragraphs and use small and crisp sentences to keep the post well-structured for not just readers but search engines as well. Proper planning would also help you in churning out content rich posts frequently.
3. Always have a captivating title and opening
SEO and keywords can only go as far as bringing the reader to your blog. Whether this reader actually reads your blog or not completely depends on the content you have to offer. This kept in mind, bloggers should try to make the title and opening engaging and relevant at the same time.
Tools like Hubspot’s Blog Topic Generator can be used to create blog titles as well as understand how one can turn simple ideas into interesting titles. For e.g. , a blog titled ‘How to create good blogs for businesses’ can be changed to ‘The Next Big Thing in Blogging for Business’.
4. Do not limit your blogs to textual content
In continuity with the previous suggestion, bloggers should also try to induce diversity in the kind of content they create. While there are ways to make textual content interesting, images and videos are more eye-catching and can help in capturing the attention of the readers for longer periods. This strategy can help in significantly reducing the bounce rate and increasing the time spent by a user on your blog.
5. Do not use your blog as a tool to push sales – While it is true that a business blog essentially has ulterior motives and are not exactly what can be termed as altruistic, it is important that these motives are not obvious to the readers. If your readers want information, you give it to them without trying to shove your products down their throats.
Bloggers should primarily focus on building a trust and reputation with the readers rather than trying to throw readers down the sales funnel. A reader who knows that website X offers relevant and valuable content and trusts it would be more than willing to use the product or solution offered by X if he/she ever needs to. With that in mind, it isn’t a bad idea either to drop a crisp CTA continually.
6. Blog frequently – The frequency of blog posts is an important step in deciding your blogging ‘strategy’. Having just the right number of posts published on your blog every day would help in maximizing the engagement of your audiences as well as improve your SEO rankings.
However, keep in mind that the only thing worse than a dead blog is a blog that posts a lot.
7. Share and promote your blog posts – It is quite possible for your blogs and articles to not gain attention of your target readers even after you’ve done everything right. If your readers can’t find you, you have to go find them where they are.
Promoting your blogs and articles thus form a very important part of your blogging strategy. Social media platforms and search engines advertisements are usual choices as promotional platforms. Businesses should, however, aim to reduce paid promotion of their blogs and website with time and the focus should shift to growing organically.
8.Interact with your readers – The comments on your blog posts can tell you what no analytical tool can about your users. Bloggers and content creator should keep an eye on the comments their posts receive as they are a reflection of the opinion their audiences generally have about the blog.
9. Measure your posts’ performance - The last but definitely not the least, it is important to know how fruitful all of your attempts to engage your audiences have been. Web stats tools like Google Analytics can do this job effectively. They are also great in providing you a demographic analysis of the visitors of your websites/blogs.